Monday, September 17, 2007

Quotes...


One of the things I love doing as a youth pastor's wife is the classroom bulletin board. For this month, Jason asked me to do something "back-to-school-ish", so I did a board that looks like a classroom, with a bulletin board. I pinned some thought-provoking quotes I found on the "pretend" board that I thought some of you might enjoy:

From Hudson Taylor, English missionary to China:
"It will not do to say that you have no special call to go to China. With these facts before you and with the command of the Lord Jesus to go and preach the gospel to every creature, you need rather to ascertain whether you have a special call to stay at home."
That statement was so convicting to me...I think we look at being called of God all wrong. The Lord called us all-we just need to ascertain where we are to be fullfilling His Great Commission.

Here's another, from the great preacher Charles Spurgeon:
"We may be certain that whatever God has made prominent in His Word, He intended to be conspicuous in our lives."
Well, duh. Sometimes the most powerful statements are the obvious ones.

From my favorite old preacher, Billy Sunday:
"The reason you don't like the Bible, you old sinner, is because it knows all about you."
I love this one, but old Billy rips too hard even from the grave to be posted on the teen class bulletin board. Man, we need more preachers compassionate enough to tell us what we desperately need to hear.

"The only way to learn strong faith is to endure great trials."-George Mueller, the English and evangelist.
It is said that Mueller prayed in over $7,000,000.00 for his orphanages and ministries over the sixty years of his ministry. Often, he'd sit the children in front of a bare table, pray and thank God for the food they would recieve, and sure enough, God would provide.

From D. L. Moody:
"I prayed for Faith, and thought that some day Faith would come down and strike me like lightning. But Faith did not seem to come. One day I read in the tenth chapter of Romans, 'Now Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.' I had closed my Bible, and prayed for Faith. I now opened my Bible, and began to study, and Faith has been growing ever since."
Moody is a giant of the faith, and this simple truth will cause actual revival in our churches if folks actually applied it to their lives. Faith comes directly from the Word of God.

Then, I found this anonymous quote:
"Sin would not be so attractive if its wages were paid immediately."
'Nuff said there.

By just looking for something witty or interesting to put up on the board, I found myself convicted and encouraged. I think we can all benefit from these men of God from the past. The names Taylor, Moody, Sunday, and Mueller should be household names. Even now, we can benefit from their close walk with the Lord.

1 comment:

Jase Divens said...

Excellent post! Nothing goes so well with my morning coffee as conviction!:) These men are the real heroes-normal men that walked with God and let Him live through them. Thanks!
Jeanene
PS. I got your forward on the Lullaby. That was so funny!