Monday, November 03, 2008

Cross-stitching

One of my hobbies is cross-stitching. I just love it. I can create anything I want with a needle and thread. It is painting-but without the mess and the clean-up, and it's portable. What could be better for an artsy nerd like myself??

Cross stitch is done on fabrics like aida and linen, where the stitches form neat columns and rows of stitches that can easily be stitched over. The size of the stitches is based on the size of the stitches in the fabric. The smaller the fabric stitches, the more intricate and detailed the picture will be.

Cross stitching is a wonderful thing to teach young girls. It teaches patience ("Will I ever finish this thing?), persistance ("It's taken me 45 minutes to get this stupid knot out!"), following directions carefully ("Aw, man, it said three stitches there, and I did four! I have to take all of that out!"), attention to detail, and the joy of being entertained by creating something beautiful, rather than watching some screen or listening to some insipid radio station.

Cross-stitch certainly isn't for everyone. My daughter, for instance, can only stand it for about a half-hour once ever six months or so. She prefers crochet, which is another wonderful fiber art.

If you want to learn cross-stitch, start with a small project, a low-count fabric (the lower the count, the larger the stitches will be), and one that uses bright colors (muted, similar colors are tougher to distinguish when counting). Follow the directions-it's prety straight forward, and enjoy!

Here are a few of the projects I have done...enjoy! Try cross-stitch-it is a blast (and a great way to keep your hands busy when you watch TV).
This teapot was completed on 28 count belfast linen,
and is probably my favorite project that I have completed.
I enjoyed this project, which I completed a few years ago.

This one I did for Jason's office at church.
It is 12"x14", and it took about a year to finish.

This is my most recent project, and it is a wedding gift.
(The wedding is this Saturday! Whew!)
The picture is a painting by Paula Vaughan,
who's work is absolutely stunning.
This piece is smaller than the soldiers,
and took about five months to finish.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

so crafty! Your workmanship is awesome. I am like Allyson . . . impatient! :)